Friday, July 02, 2010

I am truly wealthy

My trip to Melbourne has been fantastic so far. The most beautiful thing about it is that I get to spend time with Papa Lim and in turn, time with him has brought me down to earth again.

It has reminded me of my time in Melbourne four years ago, which I pursued things I had interest in and was never bothered about money, materialism and superficial issues.

Chatting with my dad has always been an insightful one - we discuss things way beyond the recent TVB drama or which actor/actress is good-looking - instead, we talk about social issues, politics, current affairs and such topics, which I absolutely enjoy.

Time with Papa Lim has reminded me again that money is not everything. I knew this long ago, hence I'm always not rich.

It's funny how, at the same time, I'm reading Paulo Coelho's The Winner Stands Alone, in which he writes about all sorts of rich, successful and beautiful personalities and celebrities during the Cannes Film Festival, who are depressed, lonely and have no friends.

I can have all the money in the world, make a luxury trip here to Melbourne, be chauffered wherever I go, buy all the branded goods I can afford, gamble thousands at Crown, eat all the gourmet food I can get in Australia...but I will never be emotionally fulfilled because my money cannot and will not be able to buy the love, time and effort my friends and family has given me during my time here. (I could maybe "buy" someone's time, but we all know that only lonely people do that).

And I'm extremely thankful for that. The sad thing is, not everyone understands this. I hope they do someday, coz there's much more to life than pursuing the latest trend, the latest pop song and earning loads of money so that people will respect you.

People will naturally love and respect you for you. You won't even need money for people to do so - herein lies true "power"...and that is being truly wealthy.

And I'm wealthy whether I'm in Melbourne or Singapore. Because I have my family who love, protect and care for me..and I have my dear friends who do the same too. :)

No one can be happier than thou. What about you?

3 comments:

DL said...

I'm glad your trip has been this insightful. Isn't it why you are in journalism? To communicate. To get your fingers into politics, social issues, current affairs... To write and in hope educate more people to appreciate and embrace the simplier things in life? Family, dreams, giving and sharing...

Your Dad was really happy. He was happy when you gave him the watch and i'm glad he didn't turn us down when we wanted to buy him dinner and come out to hang out with us many times! And he makes great banana cake. =P

Not trying to compare but what I do like about Melbourne is that it helps you understand and see the pleasures of cheap thrills, simple pleasures; and encourages you to pursue your dreams; and if you really want to, there are always little alley ways that can help take you a step closer to what you want to achieve. People are a tad bit more courteous and polite here. And strangers are more willing to smile at you or strike a conversation about how bad the train system is, during a solemn train ride to work or home. You don't have to look too much into things, generally. People tend to be more trusting too, thou at times not for their own good, but its nice. People care geniunely.

And most importantly, we love you. I can say this on behalf of CE, richard and david. I'm very confident of it. And richard gave you his classic bear hug before you left. btw, did you know your dad chuckled when your palm landed on CE's head, showing your affections for a little girl. It was a cute sight. =P

Inwe Inglorion said...

Yes it was insightful indeed because it brought me back to my initial desires which I had just before leaving Melbourne for Singapore.

Yeah, Papa Lim was really happy. He seemed pretty estatic and I can't wait to bring my brother over sometime either next year or the year after.

There will always be many factors which I love about Melbourne and moving back will always be a path I'll consider, for the next five to ten years, depending on where my career brings me.

He chuckled? Hahahaha. Didn't realise that. So cute. I didn't expect him to spend time with all of us, coz usually he likes to spend time alone at home. I think it's quite cute of him to do so and be surrounded by younger people.

The trip has also shown how loved I feel! And you don't even have to say it, coz I know it! :) And I can feel it very much. Hence that's why I said I'm blessed and truly wealthy, coz I doubt there's anything more in life to ask for.

DL said...

From where I stand, you are in a good spot career wise, make the best out of it unless there are overseas opportunity, grow it there, where you are.

Moving to Melb can wait unless you wanna spend equal time with dad, that you have with mom; before you know. Let's not go there.

If your Dad is open to meet us for dinner, I will ring him up once in a while and bring him out. In the past, he was a bit reluctant, if he is open to it, we will bring him out. He is great company. And maybe CE and i can steal some recipes off him. =D

If we do end up going US for our birthday as well, will try to organise for CE and richard and even David to come along... Was thinking, if you are not keen to go to kota kinabalu, do you want to go bali again? I don't mind going to bali for 3 days before heading to sg for CNY. Then I will co-ordinate with CE and richard. I'm definitely making that trip 2011 before CNY. I need the clear mind before I go home.