As a decade of my life ends, a new one unfolds - goodbye and good riddance to a very eventful 20s - a tumultuous one where I suppose one of life's greatest lessons are learnt. As years go by, I try to be a better person, a less angry, less impulsive person. I try to minimise my cynicism and hatred that I had. But my past darkness still clung on. For ten years, I grappled with all that.
Now that I say hello to my 30s, I see clearer now what kind of person I've transformed into. I see now what I am, who I can be and what I can do. I see now that despite the many disappointments thrown into my life, I've walked alone and took on the challenges. I see now what I need in me to remain confident and this confidence, I hope, will translate into a more meaningful new decade.
In the next ten years, I will smile, laugh and cry harder.
In the next ten years, I will dance like I was 18.
In the next ten years, I will love like I was 16.
I will do all this because for the past ten years, I did not crumble into a pile of mess. I did not question myself "what am I doing here" or "why am I doing this". Instead, at this juncture in life, I am telling myself "I know where I am" and "I know what I'm doing".
And with this, I am happy. But happiness, as like sadness, are moments that will pass. The only thing that anyone can do is to treasure the present.
So here's a formal goodbye to my 20s - to the many useless people I've met (but thank goodness to the few loved ones I've met), to the reckless self that I was and to the quasi-quarter life crisis I experienced.
And hello, 30s. Life gets better from here. :)
I love my 30th birthday present. I do.

No comments:
Post a Comment