Monday, December 10, 2007

America + Jack's 21st Birthday

Before my brother's birthday weekend, Bunny and I attended a concert by a band called "America". I swear: I have NEVER heard of this group EVER! Until this week!

Apparently, they're pretty famous and topped the charts back in the early 70's with a few hits like "A Horse With No Name", "Sister Golden Hair" and some other songs. Perhaps they were overshadowed by The Beatles and Chicago, plus they were never commercialised; hence the reason for not knowing who they are. And I don't really listen much to music from the 70's.

Of course, Bunny was the one who recognised their songs and the group and she managed to grab hold of two free tickets!

The view from where we were seated


Simple stage setup; nothing fancy at all. I counted the number of guitars on-stage and I think there were 8 guitars in total.




Jamming it up for the old geezers in da house!!!




"A Horse With No Name"

I must admit that I like a few songs, such as "Daisy Jane", "Tin Man" and "Muskrat Love". These were the less folksy, more depressive tunes and were more or less distinctive in the 70's, and were apparent in music and the arts during that era.

Although not really enthusiastic of such music, I did enjoy myself by watching "Woodsie" jamming the electric guitar, and being totally mesmerized by how good the drummer was at the drums. I was fascinated by how talented each of the band members were and it definitely was a different experience.

Bunny has bought the tickets for a one night concert by The Police. I'm not even into music from the 80's, but since Sting will be performing, then I guess it's worth it.

###

My brother turned 21 on December 9 this year! Geez! He's officially an adult now and I can't believe it.

We didn't have any celebration planned so we had dinner at the No Signboard Restaurant at Vivocity because I know that he loves to eat crab. Well, we wanted to go somewhere else but they were holding three wedding banquets that night, so we ended up at Vivocity instead.


All grown up now...


We ordered a set menu for 2 and had an additional prawn dish:

Cold dish - Lobster salad

Soup - Shark's Fin soup


Oatmeal prawns



Chilli crab (that was a HUGE claw)

Kai lan with fried garlic

Ee-fu noodles

Dessert

The food there was GREAT! The crab was fleshy and the soup was fantastic. Everything was good except for the Ee-fu noodles - it was a tad bit tasteless.

After satisfying our taste buds, we walked out and my brother told me to take a picture of the Christmas tree, which I did:


Since he wasn't going to meet his friends, we went to Partyworld and sang our hearts out! We took turns singing for a total of 4 hours, which was quite fun because we could sing whatever we wanted and it was just the two of us, so we weren't really bothered if we "performed" well or not.

The next day, we performed the birthday cake ritual again:

Mango cake from Bengawan Solo




I do hope that he enjoyed his 21st birthday with family and friends!

I still can't believe how 'old' he is now.

No comments: