Monday, February 11, 2008

Bintan during CNY...again

Just like last year, we went to Bintan on the 2nd day of CNY and this time, Teri joined us as well:

Four sleepyheads


On the 9am ferry:



Self-entertainment

The water was SO choppy that almost everyone around us were puking. Once I heard the ruffling of the plastic bag, I felt like throwing up as well and since I knew that it was all in the mind, I tried to tune out, and believe it or not, I started to think of turnips! Hahaha. Yes! Because I had the nicest turnips for dinner the previous night and I was missing it.

The ironic thing is, Bunny's sister and I both took the seasick pill, which was to prevent us from feeling uncomfortable on board the ferry, but it was the both of us who felt sick during and after the ride.

We finally reached Bintan after a turbulent ferry ride:

Bunny was ok; her face wasn't green at all.


Couldn't decide what funny face to pull and ended up with this stupid face instead


Warning sign outside Mana Mana resort

Sorry if the following pictures look a bit wrong. I think the colour calibration of my monitor is a bit off, that's why:
The beach at Mana Mana

Bodyboarding:


In action:



Bodyboarding was so much fun! I managed to ride a few waves right up to the beach and I even landed at some ang moh's feet and he just stood there looking down at this silly girl getting washed up shore.

Two dudes were kite-boarding:




Kite-boarding dude looking all cool.


Hungry!!!


I need to wash my hands.



Another funny sign.

Waiting for lunch:




Making our way to the resort we stayed at, Nirwana Gardens:



Along the way, we saw elephant rides for $10 per person. The next day, we saw it chained to a tree and its movements were restricted. Poor elephant.


Legend has it that you will "huat" if you take pictures in front of a CNY display.


Nirwana Gardens:




The 1.5m pool where I almost drowned from a panic attack and where Bunny almost blacked out because she was trying to grab hold of me but I kept pushing her underwater.

IT'S NOT FUNNY, GUYS!

It was such a traumatic experience for us both. Because I kept holding onto her and pushing her underneath so that I could come up to breath, she eventually became weaker and out of breath so she started shouting for help but no one reacted until a few minutes later, a guy from SG held me to the surface and dragged me to a nearby rock formation.

What really disturbed us both was that in such dangerous situations, no one can be bothered to help or rescue you. And I guess for me, it was my fear of water that took over me. My conscious mind was telling me to float or make one big stroke to end up at the shallow end, but my subconscious fear of water took over me physically, so I ended up struggling, panicking and gasping for air.

We also believe that due to too many idiots fooling in swimming pools and playing "drowning", it has probably caused people to be skeptical because in the first place, 1.5m isn't really that deep; not for the taller ones, of course. But for one who does have a fear of not having her feet touch the ground, it really is rather deep. I've never learned how to tread water before as well.

What's really annoying also is that some people don't understand how one CAN drown in a 1.5m pool AND shallow pools as well! They don't know that when a panic attack occurs, there's no way you could knock sense into a person and it's also difficult to save someone who's like that because they're already irrational and very flustered, not to mention, very, very scared.

Anyway, this ordeal has taught me to learn to swim properly, hence I will be taking PROPER swimming lessons and also get the teacher to coach me in curbing my fear of water.

Poor Bunny. I almost caused her to drown along with me. :(


Waiting for Teri to hop onto the ferry shuttle. She didn't stay over at Bintan. And looking very aunty with the NTUC Fairprice plastic bag (betcha didn't know that it contained valuables!).

HAHAHAHAHA!



Batik paintings


We were deciding between having a buffet or Korean food for dinner.

Chillin' at another beach the next day:

The kiteboarder dude is at it again



Checking out of the hotel room and looking all cool

Lunching at a Korean restaurant:


Munching on the wok


Trespassers will be "SHOOT"!


WOT???



It was time to head to the ferry terminal. If only we could have stayed another night, but there wasn't much to do anyway. Shall go somewhere else next time. Perhaps to Thailand, where the beaches are nicer.


2 comments:

DL said...

hahaha... looks like fun, except for the panic attack bit... it suddenly occur to me that i was once told, if one is not confident of saving someone, don't try coz one might get into trouble instead. So giving them the benefit of the doubt, they are all not strong swimmers, just posing for the sun and not confident in saving u... huge thanks to the Sg guy who was around to save you thou!

btw the red dress at the beach was really nice!!

Inwe Inglorion said...

Yeah. Thanks to Gav first for keeping me from drowning even further in the first place because she managed to keep my head out of water although she ended up going underwater instead. :(

And of course, thanks to the SG dude for literally plucking me out of the water. Phew!