Saturday, April 08, 2006

The Zoo

I've posted some pictures taken during our shooting trip at the Zoo. I'm so physically exhausted and my hands and shoulders are aching due to carrying heavy equipment and walking around, sitting, waiting and lifting up our cameras just to take a good shot. I remember my hands and arms were shaking so much after lunch, my shots were rather blur. Haha.

Daren even gave me and my colleague, Angela, a checklist to complete. We were supposed to think, compose and capture the following list of items:

  • An elephants trunk or its foot
  • A scene of a 'parent and child' sharing intimacy
  • A tiger's yawn
  • White tiger's piercing blue eyes
  • Photographers or team members photographing in awkward positions
  • Interesting/funny signs or notices
  • Reflections of Life
And then he inserted a quote at the bottom, "You need less imagination to be a painter because you can invent things. But in photography everything is so ordinary; it takes a lot of looking before you learn to see the extraordinary. - David Bailey"

Ok, here's for your viewing pleasure. I took a total of 142 pictures, without counting how many I've deleted on the way and I've chosen the few that I like. How I wish I was able to upload a 5++MB file, as the uncompressed RAW files are so much more sharper and beautiful.















The white tigers from Indonesia were definately the highlight of the shooting trip. I think we stayed there for almost 30-45 mins just to shoot and observe them. Took heaps of photos of the tigers and we just couldn't bring ourselves to walk away from there, totally mesmerized by them. Such stunning creatures they are.











































































The baboons are wonderful creatures too. They can look straight into your eyes and make you shift in your seat a little. Because it seems that we, the visitors of the zoo, are there to entertain them rather than they are there for our amusement. One thing we've realized is that the animals know when we are approaching all the time because once we turn that corner, they are there waiting for us and looking at our direction, despite being kept behind glass cages or not. Another amazing thing about the animals are that they know when to look into the camera. You can tell that they are acknowledging our presence there.






























































































































Honestly, I don't know what the polar bear was trying to prove. It is kind of weird to see polar bears playing with toys.
























































This is my favourite shot. Hehe.








I want a lion for myself. My colleagues had trouble pulling me away from the lion's enclosure. They ended up waiting for me to get over the fact that I will never be able to own a lion.




































Sigh.




































Another favourite shot of mine.

























































Some landscape pictures. Kind of cheated here. The grass is never so green in Singapore. Hahaha.


























And here are my two colleagues who went to the Zoo with me:













Was an unforgettable trip. I'm now looking forward to using my D70s more, bringing it out and start shooting more. All the sweat yesterday at the zoo was well worth it.

Next challenge:
Landscape, night and action photography

I've told myself that my last and final challenge will be bird photography. Hehe.

No comments: